Geneva Spur, or Eperon des Genevois, is a geological feature on Mount Everestâ"it is a large rock buttress near the summits of Everest and Lhotse. The Geneva spur is above Camp III and the Yellow Band, but before Camp IV and South Col. The Geneva Spur name comes from the 1952 Swiss Mount Everest Expedition. The spur provides a route to the South Col, and is usually traversed by climbers heading for Lhotse or Everest summits.
On the 1956 Swiss Everestâ"Lhotse Expedition, the spur was the location of the last high camp before Fritz Luchsinger and Ernst Reiss achieved the first known ascent of Lhotse summit, on May 18th 1956.
Far bigger than it looks from a distance, Geneva Spur was a welcome mixture of snow and rock scrambling.
From the top of Geneva Spur, South Col can be seen, and when looking at it Mount Everest is on the left and Lhotse to the right. Lhotse climbers typically head southeast from Geneva Spur, and on to a couloir to ascend that summit. The spur is between 25,000 and 26,000 feet altitude.
- Geneva Spur (parent gallery)
- Lhotse from Geneva Spur
- Climbers above the spur
- Climbing from Camp III to IV